Via Giacomo Peroni, 400/402 – 00131 ROMA
Via Bramante 43 – 05100 TERNI
Tel. +39 0744 61221
Fax. +39 0744 6122222
Sistematica S.p.A. is the leader of a group of companies whose financial and control holding company is Sistematica Consulting S.r.l. Overall, the Sistematica Group employs approximately 100 resources, over 70% of which are graduates, and has a total annual turnover of around 7.5 million euros.
From an organizational point of view, the “Sistematica Group” includes:
- Sistematica Consulting S.r.l.: (100% to private partners, founders of the Group1) – Headquarters: Terni. It control the various companies of the Group
- Sistematica S.p.A. (54.22% Sistematica Consulting S.r.l., 20.83% Gepafin S.p.A. 10.66% Octo Telematics S.p.A., the remaining portion to private shareholders)
Registered Office: Rome; Headquarters: Terni; Local business units: Rome, Bari)
Business group leader, front-end towards clients and general reference (from a technical and organizational point of view) for the entire group: it is a software developer and system integrator in the fields already mentioned.
Digiwrite S.r.l. : (95% Sistematica S.p.A., 5% private shareholders)
Registered office and Sales office: Rome; Operating headquarters: Terni
Spin-off of the sector that up until 2003 dealt with the Anoto Pen & Paper technology at Sistematica S.p.A.: focused on the creation and marketing of applications and/or services that are based on such technology and, more generally, in form processing automation.
Gem S.r.l. : (60% Sistematica S.p.A., 40% private shareholders)
Legal office and Operating Headquarters: Bari
Advanced algorithmic company that specialises in the areas of “computer vision”,”neural networks”, “analysis of scenes”,” advanced sensory systems”, design, system engineering, energy efficiency. In close collaboration with the Politecnico di Bari, it deals with part of the design for the “automation and control”, “video surveillance” and “energy” sectors (plant engineering and sensory systems). It is certified to ESCO (Energy Saving Company)
Enersoft S.r.l.: (20% Sistematica S.p.A., 80% Free Energia S.p.A.)
Registered Office: Rome;
Spin off of the “Energy” department, focused on advanced IT systems for the energy sector (monitoring and control, production support, forecast,. scheduling, invoicing, management control, CRM)
Feed S.p.A.: : (70% Sistematica S.p.A., 30% private shareholders)
Offices: Registered Office: (Rome); Operating headquarters: Terni (at Sistematica)
The company focuses on “renewable energies”, with special attention to: (i) energy production (own account); (ii) support activities for the implementation of power plants, including activities in support of the same (eg: preliminary energy audits, assistance to the authorisation procedure, monitoring and remote control, etc.); (iii) design and implementation of renewable energy production facilities on own account and/or on behalf of third parties.
The main office is located in Terni, and covers approximately 750 square meters of property.
The main offices includes:
- the executive offices and the main “software factory” of Sistematica S.p.A.
- the main office of Sistematica Consulting S.r.l. (and all the administrative and financial offices of the Group)
- the main operating area of Sistematica S.p.A. and of the other companies of the Group with operating headquartes in Terni (Digiwrite and Enersoft).
- Sistematica S.p.A.: Registered office, local business unit housed in an own office (leased) of approximately 700 sq. m, located in the “Polo Tecnologico Tiburtino” (area which hosts many industrial concerns, mainly in the technology sector). It hosts: the Sales Department and any associated resource and the secondary software factory
- Digiwrite S.r.l., Sistematica Consulting S.r.l., Enersoft S.r.l.: Registered Office
- FreeEnergia S.p.A., Feed S.p.A.: Registered Office and Operating Headquarters (at Sistematica S.p.A.’s offices) in Bari: Gem ICT S.r.l.: Legal office and operational headquartes, in a rented office of about 150 square meters.
Sistematica S.p.A. is the main front-end towards the market (it is in the supplier register and acquires the main orders). The company directly manages most of the projects and activities towards the market, in particular those related to its core business. It also makes use of some “area” subsidiaries focused on
specialised areas (ex: Digiwrite, for “digital pen and paper”)
Sistematica S.p.A. also provides DIR / QUA, COM and IT / SIC services to all the companies in the group
- Management services
- General and analytical accounting (bookkeeping, drafting of the budget, etc.)
- Management control (production reports, data and trend analyses, tools, …)
- Finance (relationships with banks, account keeping, obtaining financial sources, …)
- Purchases (register management, relationships with suppliers, purchase / delivery of goods, warehouse)
- Corporate management support and strategy identification (agreements, …)
- Linking of activities at group level and identification of economies of scale
- Quality System (direct or indirect)
- Sales/Marketing – Business Development
- Client management support
- Support in finding contacts / creation of “rapport”
- Support for offers/negotiations
- Strategic marketing
- IT / Network Security / Internet / …
- Management of work stations (and related logistics)
- Service Centre (server, …)
- Security (physical, logical, network, at work, “privacy protection”, for NATO level)
TECHNICAL AND SCIENTIFIC SKILLS
Research, development and design structures
LABORATORIES AND EQUIPMENT
The property located in TERNI (TR), In Viale Donato Bramante No. 43 – 5° floor, covers a total area of 488.80 square metres, with a gross covered area of 625.80 sq. m.
Inside the same there is a software laboratory that uses all the necessary development equipment, including:
- about 50 individual work stations, almost all based on Intel environment and typically equipped to carry out development work both in Microsoft (e.g. Visual Studio) and Unix/Linux (ex: JBuilder) environments
- 20 development servers, equipped with all the software infrastructures needed to carry out development work in Unix, Linux/Open Source (Apache Tomcat, J2EE, and Postgres, MySql, Zope, etc.), Microsoft (e.g. SQL Server, .Net), Oracle environments
- a sub-system for configuration control, based on the Source-Safe / SourceOffSite systems (for Microsoft) or CVS (for Unix/Linux)
There is also a service centre, equipped with excellent facilities (e.g. redundant servers, dedicated Digiwall-based security subsystem – with a firewall made internally on Linux platform), used for providing the classic “in-house” IT services (e-mail, Internet access, company Intranet, etc.), and for the provision of some services to third parties.
In addition to the above-mentioned main lab, there is a secondary software lab at the local business unit in Rome, which covers about 600 square meters, and hosts the software development activities related to the Business units directly managed by the Rome headquarters (in this case: BSS and OSS).
The location hosting the main software lab also features an area dedicated to “Research & Development “, used for applied research in areas of high technological innovation (it is from this area that some important sectors, such as the one relating to the technology Anoto Pen & Paper stemmed) and run by a manager, who works with about 4-5 resources on average, plus a reasonable number of “grant holders” (Sistematica has agreements with the Universities of Perugia, Rome, Pisa and Ancona), who take turns performing “experimental thesis” or “postgraduate internship” and who often carry on working with Sistematica, under various forms of collaboration). These resources can then be complemented, when needed and according to the pertinent “business” appraisal (relating to the potential short / medium term economic effects), with resources temporarily diverted from more “traditional” development activities.
Operating essentially in support of the company’s business (and, consequently, in the sectors currently of interest or of potential future interest), the laboratory carries out research mainly in the following fields:
ANOTO TECHNOLOGY AND, MORE GENERALLY, “FORM PROCESSING”
In this context, the activities of the laboratory are mainly directed towards the continuous improvement
of the design and application development platform for “form processing”, which was created as a concrete output of the research activities carried out in this respect over the last three years, and which was initially used as a personal productivity tool (to increase efficiency and development speed of the team engaged in the implementation of the services based on such technology services), and which was then engineered and “packaged” so as to be supplied to the company’s technology and/or business partners in order to facilitate their entry into the “Anoto world”.
It is worth emphasizing here that, in fact, the “Anoto pen & paper,”technology is just one of the components of the broader field of “form processing” (constituting only one of the methods associated with the “data acquisition” phase, complementing for this purpose other methods, such as the acquisition of data from printed material via optical scanners, the direct use of electronic forms, etc.).
In this context, an essential component of the platform is the recognition component of handwriting (ICR: Intelligent Character Recognition), on which many studies and in-depth studies have been and are still being carried out in order to extend the fields of application and, above all, improve the average quality of the process of interpretation of the data acquired.
MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS AND MANAGEMENT CONTROL SYSTEMS:
It was developed in-house, as a prototype destined to become the tool to support management and administrative activities carried out within the group: it is a fairly sophisticated application based on the Domino platform, which allows the integrated management of all production phases (including the pre-sale activities- offer, feasibility studies, contracts activities, etc. as well as post-sales ones – invoicing, payments, project control, client support, etc.) and to carry out a strict control of management in companies of similar size to Sistematica’s.
The system, which was developed for the above purposes, is currently used as a reference tool for all Group companies, for financial planning (budget determination and control, invoicing and payments, checking any deviations from estimated/final accounts, etc.) and for keeping accounts “per cost centre”, both at Business Unit level and for individual orders.
The company’s “group” budget definition (which is carefully monitored and verified quarterly) are also managed using the integrated tool.
Initially, the company’s intention was to progressively evolve the system to make it become a “product”: appropriate in-depth studies in this regard, especially in the light of the requirements arising as part of the CSC project, highlighted the relevance of the experience for the purposes of reusing the know-how thus acquired, but also recommended the development of a new product starting from a tested infrastructure, which would not be affected by the “ad-hoc” setting such as the one adopted for the application described here. One of the objectives of the activity of pre-competitive development is to use the experience and know-how gained in the implementation of such system to create a new system that can be used in-house as well as “offered to third parties”, and as such it will be conceived, designed and built.
LATEST-GENERATION MOBILE NETWORKS
In this context, the research activities initially focused on UMTS mode and, more specifically, on the in-depth study of the so-called “SIP” layer: this was not for the purpose of creating a “proprietary product”, but to show the potential market partners operating in the field of such emerging technology that the company possesses the right skills (e.g. UMTS licensees in Italy).
Next, the business expanded into the world of new wireless technologies (from Bluetooth to Wi-Fi with new platforms for mobile terminals, such as Symbian or Windows CE).
Finally, in-depth studies were carried out on TETRA networks (network technology for mobile phones, as an alternative to GSM, applicable in certain sectors – such as the military world, the civil protection sector, etc., where GSM does not offer sufficient guarantees in terms of “service levels” and/or security). The outcomes of these activities, together with the results obtained from the collaboration with important national enterprises working in the automotive field (ex: VIASAT, Octo Telematics), have also led to the creation of a platform for the implmentation of “work-flow management” and of “fleet management” systems.
DOCUMENT & WORK-FLOW MANAGEMENT
In this context, the research activities initially focused on more in-depth studies of the most important international standards of reference (ex: WFMC specifications: Workflow ManagementCoalition) and the creation of a platform for designing and developing applications of “document and wok-flow management “compliant to these standards. Subsequently, we concentrated on integrating the emerging PKI technologies (digital certificates, electronic signature, etc.) into such platform, with particular reference to the specific characteristics that apply to the Italian market (AIPA specifications, now CNIPA). From this, some concrete results arose, such as the creation of one of the first work-flow management engines able to integrate the use of digital certificates in accordance with the AIPA standards (and, therefore, usable in the field of Public Administration) and of one of the first AIPA-compliant “computer protocols” (currently used by over 50 public institutions). With respect to the issues described above, the use of “open source” tools and techniques has been explored, together with the integration of such technologies with other technologies of particular interest for Sistematica (Anoto functionality, technologies in support of mobility, management control tools, etc…)
The following projects that are about to be started up should be added to the above area of interest:
- Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT): two scholarship programs have recently been started (with the Universities of Perugia and Pisa) aimed at further exploring the interactive component (use of the MHP platform for the creation of interactive applications) in such area.
- T-Government/T-Learning: here, we refer in particular to the in-depth study of DTT issues aimed at testing whether these technologies can be integrated with what was previously described, as regards Anoto technology and, in particular, and whether the use of “digital pen and paper” to deliver T-Government Services (ex: filling in and forwarding of certificates) is possible, as an alternative (or to complement) to the use of the traditional remote control.
The company also has a research laboratory in the Matera office which, together with the subsidiary Digimat, operates in the following sectors:
- Digital signal processing
- Remote sensing algorithms
- Advanced multimedia systems. As for the latter, one of the projects will lead to the creation , in collaboration with the American Foundation of ISIS and Meson Perkins (an internationally known American company active on issues related to hearing impairments), of the first Multimedia dictionary of the Italian Sign Language (LIS).
A prototype, designed to test the feasibility of some innovative ideas that are at the base of the project has already been created, using own funds. For the continuation of the project, a request has been recently made for ministerial contributions under the PIA – Piano di Agevolazioni Integrate (Integrated Facilities Plan), destined to the Local Unit in Matera.
COLLABORATION WITH EXTERNAL RESEARCH ORGANIZATIONS
Sistematica regularly works with several research institutions and organisations at national level including, to name but a few: ASI (Italian Space Agency), University of Rome – Tor Vergata, Telespazio and others.
It also works with the University Consortium FOR.COM. with which the Research Project “Definition and implementation of an evolved Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) system” has been carried out.
The For.Com. Consortium is a non-profit public body established in June 1990, which stemmed from the cooperation between Italian and foreign universities as provided for by the Italian Presidential Decree 382/80, by Italian law 705/85 and by the Reform Law of the University Didactic Regulations, to carry out research and training in various areas, including: Marketing, Communication and Management, Finance and Control, Quality, Energy and Environmental Management.
The founding members were the University of Rome “La Sapienza” and the Bournemouth Polytechnic (UK).
The current members are: the University of Turin, the University of Molise, the University of Nottingham, the University of Cassino, the University of Sassari, the University of Bari, the University of Foggia, the University of Camerino, the Telematic University Guglielmo Marconi, the University of Liverpool – University College Chester, the University of Malta, the Universitatea “Ovidius” Constanta – Romania and the Université de la Savoie CEFI-CNRS.
For.Com. is registered at the laboratory register (M.I.U.R. – Code 80 – Research and educational applications of telematics, multimedia and of new technologies).
SISTEMATICA develops (either directly or through companies of the group to which it belongs) “turnkey” software systems;
it integrates systems, creates application packages, provides ICT services as well as specialist consultancy.
These activities are mainly performed in the following sectors:
- Business Support Systems (aimed at telecom operators and service providers)
- Telecommunications & Networking, Network management systems (network management)
- Supervision and control systems
- IT systems for the “Energy” sector (monitoring and control, production support,
forecasting and planning, invoicing, accounting, CRM)
- Mobile Systems (Infomobility)
- Space systems (remote sensing systems, design and development of components of “terrestrial segments”)
- ICT (Information & Communication Technology) / IT Systems
- Systems for the Public Administration (E-Government, Healthcare)
- Groupware (E-mails and messaging systems, CRM, document management, workflow management)
- Security and advanced video surveillance systems (including scene analysis functions)
- Applications based on the “Anoto pen & paper” technology (digital pen & paper)
- Multimedia applications, graphics/3D animations, websites/portals
- Sistematica holds the NOSC (Collective security clearance) certificate that authorises the company to participate in “classified” developments. Overall, the Group can count on about 40 resources who possess the necessary requisites (clearance, certifications, etc.) needed to work in classified developments.
- Sistematica (main office and Local Business Unit of Rome) has been an ISO 9000 certified company since 2000; it also holds the ISO 9000 – Vision 2000 certification
- Sistematica is a Research laboratory accredited by the MIUR (Ministry of Education, University and Research)
- Sistematica holds the following certificates:
- IBM Business Partner
- Lotus Business Partner
- Microsoft Certified Partner
- HP Open View Certified Partner
- Anoto Gold Partner (via Digiwrite)
- Xerox Gold Partner
MAIN PRODUCTS AND LOCATION OF THE RELEVANT PRODUCTION FACILITIES
Sistematica currently has the following Business units, spread across three “Business Areas”; a short description of such BUs is given here below together with the corresponding features:
- SPZ (Systems and Services for Space and Defence)
- Design and implementation of components of ground segments for space missions
- Design and implementation of “data processors”, or software components for processing data remotely sensed through various sensors (SAR, optical, etc.) or for the relative post-processing (e.g. geocoding)
- Design and production of components for satellite control systems
- Analysis / Design of mixed networks (terrestrial, satellite, radio)
- Development of Centres/Network Management & Control Systems (Network / Application Management) for managing troubleshooting issues, performance, traffic, security, configuration, application monitoring
- Development of Network Management platforms that conform to ITSec and Common Criteria
- Development of “monitoring & control” platforms for real-time systems in “mission-critical” environments
- Development of Trouble Ticketing Systems
- Production planning and control system
- MOB (Mobile systems and services)
- Development of Infomobility platforms: finding places and points of interest, calculation of routes, visualization, maps, etc.
- “Mobile Surveillance” systems: location services and remote monitoring of vehicles for crashes, thefts and robbery, mechanical breakdowns, sudden sickness, etc.
- Fleet Management Systems: fleet management of vehicles for logistics services and freight transport
- Various services available to GSM phones: Alerting (traffic, weather, events, advertising, etc.), Mobile-Banking, tele-reservation services, etc.
- Communication Gateway (for wireless terrestrial and satellite networks)
- BSS (Business Support Systems)
- Drawing, Accounting & Billing Systems and Service Provisioning for
- CRM System development
- Software solution for integration of heterogeneous systems, data-warehousing, support to information and decision system
- Management Systems and Mobile systems support services
- Web portals for interfacing with back-office systems
- GRP (Groupware, Document Management) + HEALTHCARE
- Electronic document management systems
- Electronic systems for Workflow Management and Knowledge Management
- Design and implementation of integrated systems in Lotus Domino and J2EE environments
- Electronic signature applications to CNIPA and EU standards in the automation of proceedings and/or administrative procedures
- E-mail and Messaging & Collaboration systems
- Company Information Systems
- Design and implementation of healthcare information systems
- Document & Workflow management applied to the healthcare sector
- ENERGY (advanced IT systems for the “energy” sector)
- Design and implementation of systems and solutions to support the “Energy” sector, both for the technical-plant component (production plants from renewable sources, energy efficiency, advanced sensory systems, etc.) and for the “management” component (planning, invoicing, management control, settlement, CRM, etc.)
- Specialist consultancy services in the Energy field ANOTO (applications and services based on the “Anoto pen & paper” technology) [Digiwrite Corporation]; as “Anoto certified developer”, Design and implementation of applications based on “Anoto pen & paper” technology, which allows real time transmission of anything that is written with a Digital Pen on a paper made “digital” by a special dotted grid: see www.grupposistematica.com and/or www.anoto.com for further information)
- As “Anoto Certified Service Provider”, Provision of services based on the “Anoto pen & paper” technology
2012: extension of the machine department with the installation of a CNC Doosan PUMA 400LMB lathe.
2013: extension of the machine department with the installation of a Doosan VC630-5AX APC machining centre
2015: installation of iMan and ProdWare, an ERP software for production and sales management
2016: O.M.M. obtained the EN 9100:2009 certification and extended the machine department with the installation of a Doosan PUMA SMX3100 machining centre